Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Syrcls Brunch Review: Ordering In!


Let’s face it, the last thing you want to do when you wake up from a long (and possibly regrettable) night out is to get out of bed and cook yourself something awesome to make yourself feel more human again. At least for people like me, who pretty much don’t cook at all, going out to brunch is pretty much your best friend. So that’s why I’m here: to share my tales of urban brunching— tales of caution, and/or tales of awesome.

The night before the brunch in question, I had to a whiskey tasting at Bottlerocket
right after work. I tasted a Hudson Baby Bourbon, a Hudson Manhattan Rye, and a Spirit of The Hudson Vodka. Unfortunately, I seemed to have misplaced the information I got about each of these drinks, due to me clearly getting way in over my head with this tasting, so to. I think my favorite was the Rye, though I’m not much of a hard alcohol drinker. I think my only comment was “yep, that’s alcohol all right!”Anyway, I somehow thought that night that it would be a good idea to not only meet my friend Foxy at a bar back in my neighborhood, but to also have some additional drinks with colleagues in the West Village. By the time I got back to Williamsburg, I should have probably just gone home. Instead, I proceeded to hang out with Foxy, and then some neighbors of mine, until I was too embarrassed to admit that I was too drunk to continue hanging out, walked out of the bar without saying anything to anyone, walked home, and passed out in my contacts.

Despite the early call of spring that Saturday morning, it was definitely an ordering-in brunch moment for me. Hey, sometimes, you don’t have the wherewithal to leave your apartment until absolutely necessary. Sometimes all you can do is lay on your bed and/or couch and sit still until that horrible spinning fades away. OK, I wasn’t that bad, but I was extraordinarily lazy. Oh, and ordering in is also good if you have a guest in your bed and you’re not quite “done” with them yet.

But on regular, non-sex partner nights, my roommate and I rely on Willburg Café pretty much across the board for ordering in brunch delivery. It’s not particularly outstanding in the quality of food, much less the service, it’s just that it’s really the best we have to choose from in our delivery area.
I have to say, the girl who takes delivery orders is has pretty far below average mental capacity. It’s been more than four times that she’s put us on hold and forgotten, royally messed up our order, or can’t spell anything we tell her. But, their tofu “omelette” (which is really more like a scramble), with combo of potatoes and toast, is pretty good and reasonably priced. In this case, though, we both got their yogurt, granola & fruit plate, which is a nice portion and a healthy option.

It takes them about 20 minutes or so to arrive, and unless that genius of a girl on the phone has messed up something on her end, they’re usually good about getting there on time. Oh, and they have fresh orange juice, which is possibly a better than a burger for your hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment